Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday 1st march, 38 degrees c.. what a heat !!!!!

My my.. not complaining but working with such a heat is just almost impossible.. but we did work to day anyway....  The outside of the house now looks quite nicer than ever before.. the screeds are on and the 'only' thing left do do is change the front door and finish around the window frames,, but concentrating on the inside of die huisie (the small house) is now more important, since the 'move' is only days away.. not going to be ready so have to continue to sleep in the milking shed for some time to come, and put the furniture in the 'garage' that has no doors ;-) But hey, all the happier and content will I be once I CAN move the furniture in..

outside of the house with the new windows here ;

So that makes me the owner of a huisie with nice windows hey...


The lounge/dining area are situated on the ground floor, the pantry is on the other side of the house, which makes the living area quite nice ! More than adequate for a 1 person household I would say..  And yes, of course I could have knocked it down and built a bigger house, but then the bank would have to get involved, and I'd like to prevent that at all cost....

What was actually a very very nice surprise yesterday evening when I neared the house in the dark is this, a visitor a few hundred meters from the property, country life I tell you.. think its a duiker, the smallest antelope in SA which you can still find here in the 'veld'....  he was saying, welcome home I'd like to think ;-)))

The 'duiker' does not move when hit by light in the dark, so had time to take this picture with the iPhone, a bit grainy but you get the idea ;-)
Running a bath as we speak using the old geyser and low water pressure by the way, so that usually takes about 20 minutes to fill up to a decent level, but what the heck.. a bath is a bath in the end.. looking forward to that I must say.. but to continue with the story...

Fitted a new polystyrene isolating ceiling in the 'pantry' which immediately made it lots cooler there, and to prove it, pic here ! Don't look that bad at all ..... have to finish the edges but the ceiling is in.. what remains now is the bathroom and the outside little terrace.. that will really keep the temps down when the sun is beating on the roof..

And inside the lounge area the walls with the double doors are done.. we thought to do the entire house quick quick, but again, there is no such thing as quick when renovating, I keep having to remind myself, not enough cement !!! So off I went to Caledon, where stocks were low as well, but the owner of Wimpie's DIY, meneer Wimpie himself, ordered one of his guys to pop out to Hermanus and drop it off at the farm. The poor guy got lost on the way, was cooking in his non airconditioned 'bakkie' (pick up) but found it in the end, and we're now the proud owners here of 50 bags of ready mix.. easier to use and mix.

part of the inside wall double door area as it is now, nicely done and smooth like a whistle.. so to morrow the second wall with the window frames, and let's see how far we get. already certain that I'll not be ready when I have to move over here.. but will make a plan, as a goede boer does... !

Bath ready, I'm off.. have a nice eve !!
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow Rick! You have really achieved so much already. I love the way the facade is looking and can't wait to see the finished, painted look. Keep at it - you are quite an inspiration - Nike should use you as their front man... "just do it".
    Miss you too much in the Tuesday sessions and can't wait for the next brekkies.
    Sending much love
    Tess
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete